This is our story... Believe me, it is not a fairy tale. Scott and I argue, my children have meltdowns, and my house is often a mess. But we sure do love each other
and so far we are living happily ever after.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like These

Have you ever looked around at other moms and wondered, "Is your life as crazy as mine?" Everyone seems so relaxed and laid-back. It seems like stuff never happens to other people. I often find myself wondering why me Lord? Today I decided to take Ella to the doctor. She has had a bad cold for a week and it's not getting any better. I dread going to the doctor. I dread it even more when I have to take Cole and Ella. We get called back and are waiting for the doctor, so far not so bad. (Besides Cole asking everyone he sees do they know who doctor two brains is. Which, by the way is from Word Girl on PBS.) Then everything falls apart. Ella starts crying uncontrollably because she is sick and needs a nap. I'm holding her, bouncing her trying to get her to calm down. Then Cole looks at me and says he has to do number 2. I said, "Oh no Cole. Not now." Then he starts to cry and says, no he has to do number 4. That is code for throw up. I quickly throw Ella into the stroller and grab Cole. Throw up starts to fly everywhere. We got most of it in the trashcan. But his shirt is covered and the floor too. I have to get a nurse to help me clean it up. Then the doctor comes in to examine Ella and Cole will not let me put him down. He is crying and very upset. The doctor has to look at Ella without me holding her so then Ella begins to cry and sob. Then the doctor can't see in Ella's ear because of wax. She has to clean her ears out. Cole finally lets me put him down so I can help the doctor hold down Ella's legs and arms. Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. During this part Cole says, "Mama, I have to do number 1." I yelled back that he will have to hold it for right now. Then the doctor proceeds to tell me that Ella is fine, just a cold. I thought to myself, "You mean to tell me I've been up for two nights with no sleep because of a cold." Luckily this is not a day I'm feeling rage because I just screamed in my head and not out loud. The doctor did say that Cole probably has a stomach virus that is going around. She asked if he has had any diarrhea. I said not that I know of. Then we get out of there but as we are leaving, Cole reminded me that he has to go the bathroom. We have to go back inside and get a bathroom key. As Cole is standing to pee, he says he has to do number 2 and starts crying. By the way Ella is still crying hysterically in her stroller because of the ear cleaning thing. Before I know it, you know what starts coming out all over Cole's underwear and pants. I'm out of babywipes from trying to clean up throw-up. I have to use toilet paper and do the best I can. I have to put on Cole's throw-up shirt because his pants and underwear are ruined. (I have a change of clothes for Cole by the way-in the car.) Yes, I have to return the key and walk out of the doctor's office with one screaming baby and a half naked 3 year old. He is wearing his crocs and a shirt. I have him hide behind the stroller so the receptionist can't see him and a mother and her daughter were snickering a little on our way out. All is well now. Ella fell asleep in the car and I bathed Cole when we got home. So the next time you see a mom with two kids and you think, "Man she has it together. " Remember she has days too. Her day is not today but it will be her turn soon enough.
No big deal Mom.

2 comments:

Lisa Hardee said...

I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I have days like this often! So sorry about your day!

Barbara said...

This is the funniest thing I've ever read! No one can fully understand this except another mom!!