This is our story... Believe me, it is not a fairy tale. Scott and I argue, my children have meltdowns, and my house is often a mess. But we sure do love each other
and so far we are living happily ever after.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Poor Cole

Last night we were up with Cole. He was complaining of his stomach hurting. Finally he threw up and fell fast asleep. He has been doing this for about a year now (throwing up randomly). The doctors don't know what's wrong with him. I had a feeling it was something he was eating. After researching on the computer, I think I have diagnosed him myself. We are now going to add sodium benzoate to a long list of things Cole is allergic to. This is a preservative used in many drinks. The culprit last night.... Hi-C from Wendy's. I really dread telling his preschool teacher that, "By the way Cole cannot have sodium benzoate either, it will make him throw up."
I'm writing this blog to let all you mamas know what else I found out while I was researching Cole's problem. They have now found a link between this preservative and cancer, specifically leukemia. The problem is when it is mixed with ascorbic acid (added for Vitamin C). It makes a cancer causing chemical. I know that they are saying everything is causing cancer these days but this preservative is making Cole throw up. There has to be something bad in it. Luckily, this preservative is in drinks you don't usually give your kids (maybe for special occasions). But I still wanted you to know. We shouldn't be drinking it ourselves either. Click on this link for a list of drinks that contain sodium benzoate plus ascorbic acid. (You have to scroll down to the bottom to find the drinks. ) http://www.microcosmotalk.com/thefacts/

Cole has unfortunately inherited his daddy's food allergies and we will continue to pray he outgrows some of them. The Oliver household is really thinking about going organic.
Eggs, peanuts, milk, wheat, soy, green garden peas, sodium benzoate are all on the list, but luckily not SNOW!!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Our sweet little Cole, he sure is a trooper about all his allergies! It is so scarey to think about all the additives they put in processed food. Especially knowing that childern eat and drink it!

Lisa Hardee said...

I know sometimes you must think Why Me? Why Cole? But there is a reason. Maybe, because you are the kind of mom that doesn't just accept, "My child is sick." You will research, learn, and educate others. Thanks for the info! I will definitely check out the site!

Angela Standley said...

So sorry Michelle...thanks for the link. I really want to go organic too...I need to read more about it. Someone told us once, you can pay for it now, or pay for it later with doctor bills...Organic is expensive but worth it from everything I've heard. Hope Cole feels better soon.
Angela

Mary Evans said...

Oh, Michelle... I am sorry to hear this- I hope that Cole is feeling better today-
It is so scary what they put in food/drinks that are bad for kids and even us-
thanks for the link!
hope you have a better day today