This is our story... Believe me, it is not a fairy tale. Scott and I argue, my children have meltdowns, and my house is often a mess. But we sure do love each other
and so far we are living happily ever after.

Monday, December 15, 2008

The Black Hole

This is what Lisa and I refer to as a time in your life when you are completely overwhelmed and the light at the end of the tunnel is far, far away. We have been in the black hole now for about a week and 1/2. Me, Scott, Cole and Ella have been very sick with runny noses, fevers, coughing, sneezing, chills... You name it, we've had it. It all started with Cole. Last Monday he wakes up with a swollen eye - took him to the doctor and they said he had pink eye. Then that night he gets the croup, fever and all. I will tell you one thing, the croup is scary and if it were not for Scott's ability to remain calm I would have called 911. I have dealt with the croup before but this time Cole was throwing up because he couldn't catch his breath. Throughout the week he continues to get sicker. Took him to the doctor on Thursday and they said he has an ear infection and his chest sounded congested. They put him on an antibiotic. MAMA'S BEWARE: If your doctor ever prescribes azithromycin for your child. Tell them to please pick something different. Trust me! That is the worst medicine I have every had to give. I pretty much had to hold Cole down and force it down his throat. Scott and I both get sick next. I rarely catch what my children have, even those awful stomach viruses. But even I was not immune to this nasty stuff. I have had a fever and chills for 5 days. Finally went to the doctor myself. Now my sweet Ella is sick. She is coughing and has a runny nose. I'm sure I will be at the doctor with her by the end of this week. This has been rough, especially on me because we all know mamas cannot be sick. I just kept thinking what does a single mom do? We are so lucky to have family close by because they did help me alot....
1. Thanks to Papa Rudy who rode Ella around in the car while I took Cole to the doctor the first time.
2. Thanks to Nana B. who watched Ella while I took Cole to the doctor the second time and left supper and chicken noodle soup on my front porch.
3. Thanks to Aunt Lisa who let me bring my sick children over just so I could get out of the house. She may be mad at me later for this.
4. Thanks to Scott who came home early from work to rescue me.
5. Thanks to Nana Wina for the presents that cheered everyone up.
6. Thanks to Nana B. and Papa Lewis for watching Cole and Ella while I went to the doctor.

Two very sick children.

Needless to say we constantly ran a vaporizer, even during the day.


Ella was sitting on the couch, waiting for me to lay her down for her nap. While I was pleading, bribing, forcing Cole to take his medicine, I turned around and she had fallen asleep. She just gave up waiting for me. Pitiful.


I cannot even enjoy my Christmas tree because I cannot smell anything.

Thank goodness I am finally feeling better tonight. Maybe I can see a little light in this big black hole.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

This is too funny, (even though I know it wasn't really). The pictures say it all! Sorry I couldn't help more but I had this mess too! I probably started it all when I brought home the germ from my 1st graders! Sorry! Beware it last for a MONTH!

Jodi Lowe said...

Braxton and Sawyer had that too... and I had the stomach virus at the same time. Sawyer had the croup so bad we had to go to the ER. He did the same thing, throwing up and he was sucking in his ribs. Coughing every 3 seconds. Scary! Hope you all get better soon!!!

Tory said...

I'm so sorry that you guys are sick. I hope you can feel better before Christmas morning. The picture where Ella fell asleep on the couch is too precious! Get well soon!

Lisa Hardee said...

I am so sorry I can't help you more. Scared I'll get sick too and then my kids, then we'll all be in the black hole! I've called you three times tonight and no answer. You must still be in the black hole. Call me later.

The Allamon's said...

I'm so sorry to hear all of you are sick. I hope you all get well soon. Hopefully this means you will all have this out of your system and will all be well for the holiday! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!